Custom car magnets are a great way to dress up your personal car and turn it into a mobile billboard for your company. Car magnets are an inexpensive alternative to costly paint jobs and car wraps, and you have the flexibility of using them only as needed. However, between the order and installation process, you should remember to carefully read the instruction sheet for maintenance and care. It’s not rocket science, and it ensures that you protect both your investments – your car and your car magnet.
Here are some potential car magnet issues and how you can easily avoid them:
CAR MAGNET FLEW OFF THE VEHICLE.
All car magnets need to be installed on a flat surface. This means no bevels, creases, or grooves. Uneven surfaces mean that air pockets are created, which can cause your car magnet to fly off and you can say goodbye to your investment when driving at high speeds. If you’ve used a flat, smooth surface and your car magnet still falls off or slips, chances are your supplier used a cheap type of magnet. Go for 0.8 vehicle grade magnets like the ones used by FMF for custom car magnets.
- Car magnets that have rounded corners adhere better to your car door.
- Make sure to clean car magnets regularly to prevent dirt and moisture from accumulating.
CAR MAGNET IS STUCK TO THE VEHICLE.
Some people claim that they have a hard time removing a car magnet. The question is, how long has it been on the vehicle? Most car magnets have to be removed and cleaned on a weekly basis. This can be done especially when exposed to intense heat during the summer months.
- Determine how long you intend to have the sign on your car. It will help you to decide what signage option will work best for you.
CAR MAGNET DAMAGED THE PAINT.
When installing a car magnet, you need to check the surface of the car and the back of the magnet to make sure that BOTH are free of any dirt or debris or chemical substances. The dirt is what scratches the paint, not the magnet.
- When repositioning a magnet, do not drag it across the surface. Instead, carefully peel off the magnet and start over.
- If your car has had a recent paint job, wait for the paint to cure before using car magnets (usually 90 days).
CAR MAGNET IS WRINKLED OR WARPED.
If your car magnet is delivered in a tube, it’s best to lay it on a flat surface for a few hours or overnight prior to installation. Always store your car magnet flat. Most manufacturers advise that you store the magnets separately, or at least not have magnetic surfaces facing each other.
- Use your refrigerator to keep the magnet flat before your first use.
By carefully reading and following your instruction sheet, you can be sure to get the most out of both your investments. It can also prevent any unnecessary costs associated with replacements or repairs.